Certificate in Green and Sustainable Finance
We are delighted to announce the launch of an updated version of this global benchmark qualification.
Updated for 2023, Principles and Practice of Green and Sustainable Finance includes an online Study Guide for core reading and learning activities as well as interactive eLearning modules, including audio and visual resources, and online quizzes and knowledge checks to enhance understanding of key concepts.
Global surface temperatures are likely to rise under all scenarios by more than 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels by 2040 and by more than 2°C later in the century without dramatic and sustainable reductions in greenhouse gas emissions. This underpins the urgency and importance of aligning finance with the objectives of the Paris Agreement, and sustainability in general.
In order to tackle this collective challenge, every finance professional needs to develop a knowledge and understanding of green and sustainable finance.
This global, benchmark qualification will help individuals to develop their knowledge, understanding and ability to apply the key principles and core practice of green and sustainable finance.
Information for Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents
It is not currently possible to claim subsidies for this programme through the IBF-STS subsidy programme. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
If this changes, we will provide further information here.
If you are based in Australia or New Zealand, please enrol via FINSA for this course by following this link: Financial Services Short Courses | FINSIA
Updated for 2023, the Certificate in Green and Sustainable Finance aims to develop the learner’s knowledge, understanding and ability to apply the key principles and core practice of green and sustainable finance. Specific aims are to increase the learner’s knowledge and understanding of: climate change and its impacts; climate risks and emerging environmental and sustainability risks; the evolution of green and sustainable products and services in the banking, investment and insurance sectors; and, increasing awareness of the role of the finance sector and finance professionals in supporting the transition to a low-carbon world.
- Guided self-study supported by a wide range of interactive e-learning units and knowledge checks;
- 12-unit programme that can be completed in as little as 12 weeks. Registration lasts for 1 year, so you can also work through at your own pace;
- Includes the latest assessment of climate science from the IPCC (AR6), published in 2021 and 2022.
- Assessed via 90-minute, multiple-choice examination, conducted via remote invigilation.
- Learning Materials for this certificate will be sent by email ,with more information on our Learning Management System (LMS) and course materials.
- The Certificate costs £625 per candidate, including all learning materials and the first sitting of your exam. Exam resits cost £145 per module;
- In order to study the Certificate, you must become a member of the Institute. An annual subscription fee of £30.00 will be payable upon registration as part of the enrolment fees;
From 13 Feb 2023, members will now receive a digital certificate for this qualification via email usually within 5 days of successfully being awarded the qualification. To find out more about the new digital certificates, click here.
- Upon completion, learners will be entitled to use the designation GSFP (Green and Sustainable Finance Professional).
The Green and Sustainable Finance syllabus covers:
- What is meant by ‘green’ and ‘sustainable’ finance, the key factors that underpin the science of climate change, and the ways in which the finance sector can support the transition to a sustainable, low carbon economy
- Explains the role of a range of key players and policy and regulatory frameworks in aligning finance with the objectives of the Paris Agreement and the UN Sustainable Development Goals, and the importance of monitoring, measuring and reporting impacts, outcomes, alignment and flows of finance
- Examines the nature and importance of key climate, environmental and emerging sustainability risks, and how these may be managed
- Describes how different types of financial services strategies, activities, products and services (including banking, investment and insurance) can support the development of green and sustainable finance, the transition to a low-carbon economy, and the quality and functioning of the natural environment and natural systems
- Describes the role of financial technology in supporting the growth of green and sustainable finance
- Explains the steps that regulators, policymakers, institutions, organisations and Green and Sustainable Finance Professionals can take to support the mainstreaming of green and sustainable finance.
View the Green and Sustainable Finance Module Specification here:Green and Sustainable Finance Module Specification
Am I eligible?
There are no entry requirements for the Certificate in Green and Sustainable Finance, and no prior knowledge of the green and sustainable finance sector is assumed.
The Certificate is aimed at all financial services professionals globally who wish to develop and demonstrate their knowledge and expertise of green and sustainable finance. Broad financial services sector coverage, including bankers, insurers, investment managers, central bankers and regulators, risk managers, analysts and consultants. No prior knowledge of the green and sustainable finance sector is required.
Your learning resources include:
- an online Study Guide – Principles and Practice of Green and Sustainable Finance (2023) – for core reading and learning activities
- interactive eLearning modules, including audio and visual resources, and online quizzes and knowledge checks to enhance understanding of key concepts.
The Green and Sustainable Finance learning programme is broken down into twelve units. The learning approach includes: reading and self-study, learning activities, a wide range of case studies, eLearning, knowledge checks, personal reflection and application of principles.
Although your qualification enrolment is valid for one year, if you were to study a unit per week, you may find you could complete the programme in just 9 weeks. To help you plan your learning journey, set yourself some study goals in terms of what you will do and when to complete the programme.
- Mobile Support: The learning materials are delivered via the Institute’s LMS, which enables learners to access them anywhere, anytime, using most computers, tablets and mobile devices.
- Employer Support: Employers can track progress of individuals and cohorts through regular progress reports and learner analytics, enabling timely intervention when necessary.